Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Awesome Sauce!

Dear Sure-Jell,

I made some freezer jam this morning. A.K.A. Awesome sauce (Parks and Rec fans? No? Ok.) Well anyway, we were out. And you just can't enjoy a good PB&J sandwich without freezer jam. So I made my usual special concoction...mixed berry. While I was making the jam, I read your instructions and glanced through the recipe options provided with the pectin. I thought again what a shame it is that you scare people from making experimental jams with your threats of set-failure if one deviates even slightly from your recipe. It is so sad that most people probably heed your warnings and will therefore only ever experience boring jam...like strawberry, raspberry, apricot or blueberry. If only they knew that your plain recipes can be manipulated and transformed into jam that can only be described as awesome sauce. One day, while NOT precisely following one of your recipes, I discovered the most excellent recipe for berry jam that sets every time and is magically delicious. I have included it below, and if you feel so inclined, you may include it in your recipe collection.

Sincerely,
A girl with some seriously amazing jam on her counter.




Berry Jam
(yield: 6-7 cups)

4 cups crushed mixed berries (any combo of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries). I use frozen berries...the best ones are from walmart...you need 2-3 bags.
1 box sure jell for low sugar recipes (pink box)
3 cups sugar
1 cup water
6-7 small tupperware containers

Thaw the berries if frozen(overnight in fridge, or microwave). Crush with a potato masher. Set aside. Put sugar and sure jell in a large pot. Add 1 cup water. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Quickly add berries to the hot pectin mixture and stir until well mixed. Using a ladle, put jam into tupperware containers, leaving a little space at the top for expansion in the freezer. Put lids on and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Freeze for up to a year. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I very much like the title of this post. I dare you send this letter to Sure-jell. They'll probably send you a coupon ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! I like the letter you wrote to the Sure-jell. So great.

    ReplyDelete