Monday, September 19, 2011

Work it, OWN IT!

Working out is cool. It makes you feel good, look awesome and have energy (or so I've heard). Shortly after I had Madi I was talking to one of my mother-in-laws friends. She was telling me that she got married at 30 and had her 5th child at age 37. At the time, I was 28, had one child, and was SO tired I thought I would probably die of exhaustion if I had any kids past age 32. I asked her what her secret was...and I was a little surprised by what she said. Get ready for some words of wisdom...she said, "I learned that an hour of exercise every day was more important than an extra hour of sleep." Hmmm...sounds counter-intuitive to me. I sleep or sit around doing nothing when I'm tired, and exercise when I feel like I have enough energy. Apparently I've been going about this all wrong. So time for a change...

I've decided that I am going to work out. I don't hate to do it. I'm just lazy. And I am out of the habit. I have plenty of time to work out. PLENTY. Just ask my iPad. So this is me making a commitment to work out every day this week for at least 10 minutes. And to all the marathon runners and workout queens who are rolling their eyes right now --I know, 10 minutes is lame. But I've heard somewhere that when you make a goal, you should make it doable-or you won't do it. I've also heard that it takes 21 days to make a habit...so after I've made it a habit, I will increase the amount of time I spend doing it (if I feel so inclined). And hopefully by starting slow I won't kill myself --can't work out consistently if you are dead. Anyway, I am happy to announce that I have already done my 10 minutes for the day! Wahoo! I am feeling the benefits already...I feel less like an old grandma!


Since aerobics is generally my workout of choice, here is an awesome video clip of the first aerobics I ever saw...it was on KBYU or one of those channels and Mom used to try to do this in the living room when we were little. Hilarious. I feel bad for people who didn't grow up in the 80's cause it ruled. Not only did they work out, they made it look cool. If only I was confident enough to rock the leg warmers...



4 comments:

  1. HA HA HA! I'm so happy THIS is the post you were working on. I remember watching that on tv when I was little. So funny. I'm with you on the whole exercise thing though. I should do 10 minutes a day with you. I will. I'm a doer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whooo! That is good stuff. I also remember this and to be quite honest, I would totally do it now if it were still on tv....and if I worked out anyway. Cynth, please post a picture of you dressed like that during your 10 minutes of exercise. I dare you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules, you know I would...but I have no leg warmers...no tights...and no awesome leotard! Of all the rotten luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will provide you with leg warmers. Yes, I have some. Also, you will have to figure out how to ruffle your hair like that! .... Is that guy wearing a skirt?

    ReplyDelete